Did you know that October marks the 2nd anniversary of Cardtorial’s Kickstarter campaign? In September of 2012, we launched a Kickstarter to raise funds for our very own laser cutter. After meeting AND surpassing our goal (thanks to all of our amazing backers), we were able to really grow Cardtorial into a sustainable business!
Kickstarter was an inspirational and wonderful experience. We felt so encouraged and supported by our backers! Without a doubt, running the campaign was a major turning point in our lives. Just a few months after the campaign ended, I quit my day job to run Cardtorial full time!
To thank all our supporters, we’re offering a coupon code for 20% off your next purchase on www.cardtorial.com!!
To follow the growth of our studio & see behind the scenes of our small business, find us @cardtorial on Instagram or Facebook and subscribe to our newsletter.
Cardtorial has been rolling out many location-based designs lately. Our first location design, the California I Love You So wood postcard, was introduced late spring/early summer. Soon after, we began revealing our wooden American city prints series. Now, we’ve expanded our state I Love You So cards to include custom designs for other states!
Where do you call home? Is your home the city you spent your childhood in, or is it the city you started adulthood in? Is your home in the state you were born in, or in the state you live in now? Continue reading
Summer’s going to be OFFICIALLY over in just a couple of days!! To celebrate, we thought we’d do a recap. of the most exciting blog posts of the season for our Friday Favorites roundup this week. :) Without further ado…
One corner of our new studio
- First up, our most clicked-on blog post of the summer: Cardtorial Has Moved! This is probably the most important and exciting thing that has happened to us all year in terms of growth and development, and we’re happy to see that our fans are interested enough to read all about it.
- Meet the Cardtorial Team: Mama Leung is our second most popular post this summer. We’ve been slowly introducing more and more of the people working behind the scenes at Cardtorial, and the posts are always such big hits! We’re happy to say that there’s more to come. :)
- One of our more recent posts, American City Prints, is our third most clicked-on blog post of the season. We talk about the wooden city-themed print series and our experience working on them with the amazing Anna. Technically, it took all summer to reveal the entire collection, so this is our perfect for our summer season roundup!
- Last but certainly not least is A Very NYNOW Summer Weekend, our fourth most popular post of summer. It was the very first time we exhibited at the NYNOW trade show (formerly NYIGF) with a rep, so this experience was definitely a notable one.
What was your favorite post of the season? We’d love to know!
Cardtorial is hiring! We are a boutique gift & stationery company specializing in laser cut goods (made of wood!). We are looking for a part-time administrative / studio assistant with potential for growth (lots of it!).
Commitment: 20 hrs / week (no weekends)
Compensation: Depends on experience
Location: Arts District of Los Angeles
Tasks will include:
– Packing & shipping orders
– Data entry
– Customer service (emails / phone calls / answering enquiries)
– Making products!
– Studio Maintenance
We are looking for somebody who is reliable, works hard, has great attention to detail, and is OK with repetitive tasks.
- Ability to work independently
– Previous work experience
It would be great to find somebody who is interested in working with us long term and growing with us!
If interested, please reach out with cover letter (or intro email) & resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Studio Assistant
Since springtime, Cardtorial has been hard at work developing a brand new product. After months of designing and engineering, we’re finally ready to officially introduce our new line! Say hello to our keepsake wood box collection!!
Like all our other Cardtorial goods, each wooden box features a beautiful handcrafted design laser cut into the 100 percent sustainable wood from the U.S.A. The wood is laser engraved on both the front and top of the box.
The I Carry Your Heart wood box design is based off one of our favorite E.E. Cummings quote: “I carry your heart. (i carry it in my heart.)”
This particular wood box is made of walnut. We love how the dark wood brings out the three dimensional qualities of the design.
Our other light wooden box is based off the well-known bible quote from 1 Corinthians 13:7-8 — “Love bears all things, believes in all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.”
We decided on a lighter wood for this design, Alder. The hand lettering and artwork just looks so amazing on negative space!
All of our keepsake wooden boxes are designed by the oh-so-wonderful and talented Kelly Thorn! (In case you’re not familiar with Cardtorial’s entire collection of products, one of the many wood gift products Kelly has designed for us includes our Oh So Wonderful card.)
This product line is a slight departure from our traditional paper goods (like our wooden cards, wood prints and wooden journals), but fits pretty perfectly into our vision of creating gifts to last a lifetime. These wood boxes serve as a unique wedding gift, baby shower gift and even as a anniversary present! We’re also working on two more designs for these boxes at the moment; we can’t wait to show them to you soon. :)
What do you think of our new boxes? We’d love to hear your thoughts!
Summer show season is officially over!! Cardtorial’s kicking it into high gear in September and October — we’ve got orders to fulfill and holiday gifts to anticipate! We have lots of projects and plans underway, and we can’t wait to share the news with all of you soon.
- We’re going to be at Unique’s debut PEP RALLY tomorrow featuring entrepreneur extraordinaire Johnny Cupcakes (check him out here)! If you’re going to the event, look out for us there!!
- I’m fascinated by small space design and upcycled homes. These 12 homes made from shipping containers are seriously amazing!
- Entrepreneur and Whoishostingthis.com shared an amazing infographic on best email practices for small businesses and how to craft better emails.
- Did you know that you can repurpose dryer sheets in more than 50 ways?! We were amazed by these handy tips.
- This peanut noodles recipe sounds delicious, but the best part about the recipe might just be the adorable illustrations featured on the recipe’s left.
Did you know that Cardtorial has been slowly unveiling a brand new wood print series this summer? Masterfully handlettered by Anna, each wooden print features a special US city.
San Francisco was the very first print we revealed this summer. We debuted it at Renegade Craft Fair in San Francisco! This design has plenty of delicate loops to give it extra class.
As we finalize designs, we go through many drafts. We like how the negative space in this version brings out San Francisco’s sweet curls!
The week after Renegade SF was Renegade Los Angeles; we debuted our LA print at this show. Fun fact: the very first print we produced to show at RCF was laser cut the previous afternoon! It was seriously fresh. ;)
We presented this lovely New York print for the first time at NYNOW last month. Yvonne confessed that this NY design might actually be her favorite, but Elizabeth is in love with the Los Angeles print (probably because she grew up there)!
Just this past weekend, we featured our Chicago wood print design at RCF Chicago! This beautiful print has Anna’s signature whirls — they look especially nice with the capital C (:
We had such a great time rolling out all of these prints and can’t wait to continue expanding our 8″x10x wood art collection! Cardtorial has come such a long way in the past few years, and we’re looking forward to growing even more.
What do you think of our new American city prints? Is there a print you’d like to see designed in the future? Let us know by leaving a comment below!