It’s hard to believe it’s been five years.
Five years since I started to get tired of my traditional corporate job and itched to do something new and adventurous. Five years since I took the first steps toward exploring what this ‘wood card idea’ could become. Five years since I learned how to use Illustrator, joined a maker space, and created the first Cardtorial product!!
Our five year anniversary has such a special place in my heart. You see, wood is the traditional gift for a five year anniversary. Many of our dear customers first discovered Cardtorial this way — searching for the perfect way to celebrate their partnership and commemorate their love. For me, this particularly birthday or “anniversary” is the perfect time to pause and reflect upon how far we’ve come and what we’ve managed to build together.
When I think of Cardtorial five years ago, I can’t help but reminisce about:
- Running to the post office during my lunch break.
- The uncertainty and eagerness of being an absolute newbie.
- Doing everything seemingly for the first time.
- Chatting with store owners on the weekends.
- Riding home on the bus late at night with my arms full of materials, heading home from another productive night in my shared makerspace.
- The thrill of talking to my very first customers.
This all sounds rather exciting, but looking back on this time of my life makes me remember how tiring it all was! While some things remain consistent, such as the smell of wood burning, the unique sounds of a laser running, and the unending ups and downs of running a small business, I sit in amazement to think of all that has changed.
To our friends old and new, thank you for sharing a bit of these past five years with us and letting us into your lives. Here’s to many more to come!